Answer: The average cost to paint a room in the U.S. can sometimes estimate between $2 and $6 per square foot. Total painting costs for a single room can range from $955 to $2,890, with a national average of $1,892 (BobVilla.com).
That’s the national average data. But how much does it cost to hire a painter to paint a room in your area? Are you considering repainting one or more rooms in your home? Do you need to know the cost of hiring a paint professional to repaint more than a single room?
First, let’s answer the question at hand. How much does it cost to hire a painter to repaint a room in your area?
Answer: At Robinson Painting LLC, we charge $1 per square foot with a minimum starting project cost of $2,000.
While even small interior renovations can be expensive, you can give your living space a brand new look and feel at a fraction of the cost with a simple room repaint.
But if your situation does not allow you to take on the repaint yourself (or if you despise DIY projects; it’s okay, you’re not alone), then you might be wondering: how much does it cost to hire a professional to paint a single room? And is it worth the cost?
On average, the raw labor cost can range between $400 and $500 to hire a painter to paint a 10×12 room, and this does not include trim, ceilings, or the cost of the paint itself.
How to calculate the cost to paint a room
We recommend using this paint calculator to find out how much paint you will need for a single room.
To get the most accurate price estimate, your paint contractor will need to know the room’s square footage. To calculate your room’s square footage, do the following:
- Measure the height and width of each wall you want to paint.
- Then, multiply the height and width of each wall separately.
- If you have custom doors or windows, subtract their measurements from your final values.
- Are ceilings, trim, and baseboards part of the project? If yes, add these using the same method for finding the area in Step 2 above.
- Finally, take those measurements and add them all together.
- The number you get is the room’s square footage you intend to paint.
- Calculate how much paint you will need for the project. One gallon of paint usually covers up to four hundred square feet. But remember, some professionals recommend using two coats of paint, so keep that in mind.
Note: if you desire to hire a professional, they can perform these calculations and give you an exact estimate, including labor and paint product costs.
How Much Does a House Painter Charge Per Hour?
The labor cost for a painter to paint a single room can depend on the time of year, the type of project, and the level of experience needed. While some painters may charge by the hour, we bill all interior painting projects at $1 per square foot, with a minimum project cost of $2,000 (multi-room projects).
Get an estimate for your project.
Factors That Influence the Cost to Hire a Painter
The cost factors that may influence the price of hiring a painter are as follows:
- The size of the room to be painted: The bigger the room, the bigger the job. A large space to be repainted would require more supplies and more time. Remember, a gallon of paint will cover around 400 square feet, and the total price of the repaint will include the paint purchased for the room.
- The texture of your walls: In general, walls with a coarse texture demand more paint than smooth surfaces.
- Drying time: The amount of time it takes for the first coat to dry before being able to add the second coat will influence the total repaint cost.
So, to summarize: 1) the size of the space and 2) the material of the surface to be covered are the main influencers of an interior paint job’s cost. For example, our professionals could cover 100 to 120 square feet of a flat surface in about an hour (including first and second coats). If the walls are wood or plaster, the amount covered per hour would be about 80 to 100 square feet.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Painter
Before hiring a paint professional to repaint one or more rooms, here are some of the questions you should be prepared to ask any potential hire:
How long have you been painting?
Robinson Painting LLC has been in business for over 16 years.
How experienced is your crew?
Our painting crews are well-vetted and highly experienced paint professionals.
How long will this project take to complete?
You can trust that we will provide you with the most accurate estimate of a project’s scope, including the estimated completion time.
What do you need me to do before you start the job?
While we will ensure that any furniture in the room is moved to another location or stacked in the center of the room so that we can cover it with plastic, we ask that you move any breakable items out of the room if you are able. If you need assistance with this, let us know.
Do I need to complete any repairs?
In some cases, if the room requires repairs, you should complete those before hiring a paint professional.
What paints do you recommend for this job?
We stand by Sherwin Williams’ paint products, which include a 10-year warranty.
What happens if you get paint on the furniture or carpet?
We cover all flooring and surfaces excluded from the painting project as part of the job’s prep work, which we will also include in the estimate.
Do you do a complete cleanup of your trash when we complete the job?
Yes, we will clean up all trash that resulted from the painting project.
Is your insurance and license up to date? Do you have a warranty guarantee?
All of our licenses and insurance are up to date. As for warranty, Sherwin Williams guarantees its products with a lifetime material warranty. Robinson Painting LLC offers up to a 10-year labor warranty (please ask us about this to get more details).
Do you do the job yourself, or do you hire freelancers?
We do the job ourselves.
Can you provide references with contact information?
Yes, we can provide references and point you to our online customer reviews.
Ways to save money on an interior repaint
If you want to save some money before hiring a professional to repaint a room, you can perform the surface preparation yourself. As a result, the paint professionals will not have to do that prep work. However, only do this if you have experience.
Preparing for the repaint project
- We will move furniture out of the room or to the center of the room and cover them before starting the project.
- We prefer that customers remove pictures, clocks, mirrors, or anything else you have hanging on the walls.
- If you want, you can remove all your light switch plates and covers, especially if they don’t match your décor.
- Contain your pet or pets. Keep them with you or in another room, if possible.
Is this something you can do yourself?
If the space to be repainted is relatively small and you are not afraid of a weekend DIW project, then you could do a repaint yourself. But remember, a professional may be able to do the work faster, giving you time to focus on more important things.
Summary: Average Cost to Hire a Painter
We charge $1 per square foot and limit our projects to a minimum starting price of $2,000, which is the going industry rate for interior paint jobs. You have many factors to consider when hiring a paint professional, such as room size, the time of year, the project scope, and the overall condition of the room beforehand.
If you decide you want a professional to provide you with the best possible look to match your vision, we can help. Feel free to reach out to us.
- How to Paint Popcorn Ceilings
- Residential and Interior Painters in Boulder, CO
- Residential and Interior Painters in Erie, CO
Post Updated: August 26, 2023.